During these crazy times, you might have missed out on our new hire – Kelsey Gilliam.
She is originally from Chicago. She attended the University of Iowa, studying finance. After school, she moved back to Chicago and started working at the Board of Trade. Pursuing an opportunity, she moved to North Carolina in 2016. She previously worked in accounting before deciding to switch gears to work for the Home Builders Association.
Want to get to know our new Events Coordinator a bit better? Check out her answers to the questions below.
What piece of advice do you wish you would have been told earlier in life?
- Take more risks. You will never experience all life has to offer without taking some risks.
Words to live by?
- Not doing it is certainly the best way to not get it – Wayne Gretzky
People would be surprised to know…
- I am a huge hockey buff. Have been going to Chicago Blackhawks games since I was 5 years old. I have two different tattoos to commemorate my love for the Blackhawks as well!
Where did you go to college? What did you study?
- I went to University of Iowa and studied Finance. I was a member of the business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi and was President of it during my Junior year.
What are you most excited about being a part of the AHBA team?
- I am excited to be a part of a group of people who are all entrepreneurs and business owners who are passionate about what they do. Getting to learn from people like that is invaluable and most of them have super unique stories on how they got started and how they got to be where they are today.
What accomplishment are you most proud of currently?
- I am most proud of my move to North Carolina. It might not be a huge accomplishment to some people but leaving a good job in Chicago and moving away from my family was one of the scariest things I have ever done. However, it was also one of the most rewarding things I have ever done as well and that is why I am proud that I took a risk and moved!
When you’re aren’t at work, what are you most likely doing?
- I am most likely at the gym (Underground Fitness) or at a brewery with friends. My favorite brewery in Asheville is Highland Brewery. I love their AVL IPA!
Feel free to reach out and welcome Kelsey.