Growing our Strength through Member Recruitment, Retention and Involvement.
Recruiting new members to the Asheville Home Builders Association is an activity recognized and rewarded locally and through the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Spike Club program. Those who participate are called Spikes, and they are among the most active members of the association.
Member-to-member recruitment and retention efforts are the largest source of growth and stability for the association. These efforts lend to the development of the general membership and our leadership pipeline, keeping the face of the association true to that of our industry and the scope of interests we represent.
What are the benefits of becoming a Spike?
The real benefits are intangible: You are recognized for your contributions to the association and regarded as an accomplished and connected member.
Additionally, Spikes receive:
- A coveted invitation to the biggest party of the year, the Spike Party at the International Builders’ Show®*
- Increased visibility, recognition and networking opportunities at industry events
- Additional VIP treatment throughout the year
- Invitation to Local Spike VIP party and special events
- Entered in to special drawing with each spike point, awarded at the AHBA Annual Meeting
How do I become a Spike?
Spikes earn one credit for each new Builder or Associate member they recruit. When that member renews after his or her first year of membership, the sponsoring member automatically gets one renewal credit. Every year the member renews thereafter, the sponsoring member will receive a ½ renewal credit. Spikes receive a ½ credit for recruitment and a ½ credit for the renewal of Affiliate members.
Before becoming a Spike, you are a Spike candidate. That means you have earned between one and five and a half credits. Once you earn your sixth credit, you become an official NAHB Spike! Spike credits are earned by recruiting and retaining members. When you recruit new member to join the AHBA, be sure to ask them to list you as their recruiter on their membership application.
How can I get tickets to the IBS Spike Party?
You must be a Spike in good standing as of October (having at least six credits) and you must have earned at least one new member credit during the previous 12 months. The new member credit can be one full credit earned when a new Builder or Associate member is recruited, or two ½ credits when Affiliate or Council members are recruited. You will be notified by NAHB of your eligibility prior to IBS.
Recruiting Tips & Tools
The Spike Program also supports the AHBA’s Motto to “Do Business with a Member.” Utilize these recruiting tools and reap the benefits of being a Spike.
- Every day you do business with dozens of building industry professionals. Who do you do business with – could they benefit from membership? Use this list to create a customize rolodex of potential new members. Prospect Member Rolodex
- Invite your prospects to see and experience the AHBA first hand at an upcoming event. Meet them at the event and introduce them to other members – help set a foundation for meaningful connections. Complimentary Guest Passes are available, contact the AHBA office to request passes. Non-member guests may attend one event at no charge (excludes ticketed AHBA events).
- Share your own experience and excitement with prospective members, how is being a part of the association beneficial to you and your company? What do you like most about the AHBA? Be a resource for them.
- Use these links to reference Member Benefits and an Application for Membership. Don’t forget to ask them to list you as their Recruiter on their application!
- When a new member joins the association, AHBA Staff will be sure to let you, their Spike, know that they joined!